I share the first paragraphs of six black shorts I have written, all dealing with a social justice issue.
Not So Strange After All
“Get away from me you devil-loving maggot.” His name was Leon. My name was Leon. I noticed him sitting outside of CVS pharmacy jingling a green and white cup. “God, Bless. Have a nice day,” is what he said to everybody who gave him some change, and those who refused. That’s why I was surprised with his outburst when I decided to sit beneath the large storefront window next to him. I was not close enough to offend, but close enough to chat. I circled the block several times before engaging in this strange behavior. I could not help myself because he had a striking resemblance to my father who has passed away a year earlier after suffering from an acute case of pneumonia. I wanted to know the story behind the man who sat spread out on Canal Avenue with a matted, salt and pepper beard. It was something about his hands and the cup that did not match. His fingernails were striking. I expected them to be dirty, unmanicured, and trouble-looking. But they were not. There were clean and well cared for.
Black Bag
"Lil’’ Joe sat in the back of the car with a stupid look on his face. The large graffiti-laced t-shirt and hanging jeans with large cuffs hugging the ground at the back of multi-colored gym shoes marked him as a young man looking for trouble. The bulky bag he was toting raised suspicion. His run-in caused him to imagine the weight of Mrs. Jackson’s disappointment. He heard her saying, “Stay out of trouble.” He was excited and scared at the same time. He would become one of the guys after sharing what happened tonight; he was now a first-timer, an official member of the brotherhood.
Lefty
This was my first time back in the old neighborhood after being away for more than four years. “You know, Lefty, died.” Cameron, one of my best friends from childhood told me about his death. It’s funny how memories and emotions are quickly ignited with unexpected news. Although I hadn’t heard the name, Lefty, in ten years, I felt a deep lost. I remember looking forward to seeing him turn the corner as he wheeled his way toward Madden Park in a sluggishly looking chair with rips in the leather and dingy push handles. He was a huge man, always wearing the same country straw hat and blue jean overalls with one working strap. Dirt was always caked under the fingernails of his huge hands. He sweated a lot, and his underarms were wet most of the time. Lefty never wore socks in the summer; his crusty ankles showed through the back of his open-toe sandals.
Not in My Neighborhood
His bright red cap, half-cocked, was the first thing I noticed when he entered the room. I am not quite sure why he showed up, but it was something about his presence that was welcoming. His movements were slow and measured. I could hear the questions he was asking although he remained silent. The baby face atop the grown-man frame was weathered with pain, but not totally washed of innocence. He was teetering between something that was difficult to pinpoint. Then he spoke, "Not in my neighborhood."
Sixteen
She sat two rows in front of me on the seven-car train that was moving toward the city. Her hair was uncombed and there were naps all along her two-toned neck. The daughter’s hair was not in much better shape suggesting that she just didn’t have time to get to it this morning. Earplugs were in her ears and small gold hoop earrings, nothing extravagant, hung from her lobes. The dimples on her moderately dark face were attractive. She was really pretty. I made brief eye contact with the girl who looked like she was about sixteen. We exchanged a brief smile that was interrupted by a young boy who began to scream; the pacifier dropped from his mouth. It was obvious he hadn’t had his first haircut, and the white dry snot marks on his nose looked nasty. She spent the duration of the ride trying to calm him down. The train passengers, mostly white, looked irritated because the young boy’s cry was intruding upon their newspaper reading; their attempts to complete work on laptop computers, or their desire to simply enjoy four-dollar-cups of coffee. I felt sort of sad for the girl as she bounced the baby up and down on her lap as her little girl looked on. The mother’s face tightened each time his shrieks grew louder; she looked somewhat apologetic for disturbing the others. At one point, I even became irritated. Why won’t the boy just shut up, I thought?
My Daddy’s Shrine
My momma always told me my daddy ain’t shit, but I still decided to love him. I’m his seed and I carry his name. It’s been three years since I last saw him. It was a perfect day. I remember waking up early on my tenth birthday. The blinds failed to block out the morning’s sunlight that crept into my room. The ray of light stretched like a rope across the tiny bedroom that I shared with my little brother, Fergie. I dressed quickly when mom told me that daddy was on his way over to take me to the game. I heard the horn and I rushed downstairs. Big Gib, with a cigarette hanging out of the corner of his mouth, was sitting in his new Chrysler. He looked perfect to me. I was excited to go to the north side to see the Cubs. Kids in my neighborhood lost interest in the game; the parks are now empty. It is rare that I get a chance to wear my jersey with the number 37 on the back, another gift from my father. He’s fourth generation and I am fifth generation.

The Shadow Gun
ReplyDeleteMike and Leo sat in the back of the CTA bus. The night shadowed their figures only showing their glowing eyes. “Dude, where are we going?” Leo asked. “Somewhere far away,” Mike replied. “I gotta get out of here.” “You can’t run, man,” Leo said. “They’ll find you somehow.” “I won’t let them,” Mike said grimly. “The world is too huge.” “Man, where you gone get the money?” Leo asked. “You as broke as I don’t know what.” “You can’t go as far as Indianapolis.” Mike knew Leo was right. He closed his eyes and gripped his seat tighter. He finally opened his eyes. “Leo, get off on the next stop,” Mike said. Leo looked at Mike. “Are you crazy?” Leo asked. You’ll get smoked out there without me.” Man, you’ll end up like the burnt toast I ate for breakfast this morning.” Mike stifled a laugh. “This is serious,” he said. “Now go.” Suddenly, the side doors opened. “You’re wrong, Mike,” Leo said. Then, he put his hood on, shouldered his Nike bag and stepped off the bus. Mike sighed and laid his head back against the hard head rest. The bus driver turned around. The moonlight showed he was white. His blue CTA cap was dirty and fitted tight on his head. Mike could feel his harsh glare on him. “The next stop is the last one,” he growled. “I wanna go home.” Mike nodded his head and sighed. What was he going to do?
Leo walked slowly down the sidewalk. His white sneakers crunched against the snow. He shivered from the cold. “God I hate Chicago winters,” he grumbled. He was walking past an alley when he stopped dead. The click sound of a gun being reloaded made his heart skip a beat. He turned towards the alley, drawing a gun from his bag when there was a BOOM. Leo cried out as the bullet shattered his chest. He dropped the gun as he fell. He started coughing up blood. It stained the once clean, white snow. Leo heard a faint chuckle as his killer walked away. Leo dug in his pocket and pulled out a cell phone. His finger touched a button but it soon fell and Leo’s eyes slowly closed.
Family Reunions
ReplyDelete“Semoore come here,” Dad called to me. I barely heard him because I was in a daze of disappointment. Mama singing at the picnic table with the twins, Benny and Bamma, Auntie Tammie on her laptop engulfing herself with her work, Cousin Kaden on his new iphone talking to his girl. We’re here together, I thought. Uncle Wayne at the edge of the yard, lonesome, staring into space. “Boy go get my plate,” Dad yelled and commanded me. I knew I was gone hear that voice again because of my steady confusion. Auntie Ms. Brown treating her children like her students, Pappy in the house watching a movie alone, Granny in another room watching the same movie, Joe throwing rocks at my feeble back. Somebody’s knocking at the door…only to be ignored. “Boy what I say,” Dad uttered again his domination. Separate worlds I see in one galaxy. Different atmospheres and different elements of fabricated love. Decisions to be made about the next time we meet already being considered. Here I am disobeying Dad because of my bewilderment of watching my family’s unity wither. “Coming Dad,” I shrieked. Aw man now there’s a fight.
Question
ReplyDeleteSitting on the porch Mallory’s eyes connected with fading sun as it fell behind the line of trees along with her tears. In her hand she tightly held a long letter inside an envelope with no address or postage stamp. All she could do was mutter questions and breathe to the rhythm of her heart beat. The expression on her face showed sadness while the still concentrated look in her eyes whispered anger. In her other hand was a gold ring.
As she sat there her mother came out for a smoke.
“Are you going to take those items to him?” Her mother quietly asked.
“Maybe”
“Well you should leave soon if you do, I don’t want you out there when it gets dark.”
“Ok, mom can I ask you a question?”
“Sure what is it?”
“Did anyone notice?”
Without allowing time for her mother to answer she got up walked over to her car and drove away.
Broken Love Can Be Repaired
ReplyDeleteThe beautiful, courageous, smart and did I say beautiful, sexy Champagne. Champagne is so hurt, she cant trust her own father. Beating his child doesn’t even bother him but it bothers Donovan. Champagne is scared of her own domain she’d be safer in a lion cage. She tells Donovan every time it happens and he always has the same response one day, one day he gone get his trust me (while crying). Champagne has a Job but she spends all her money on makeup to try and cover up her bruises. She is in Love with the strong, smart, sensitive and handsome Donovan that lives by himself, he is already expected to go straight to MMA when he turns 18. But her father forbids her to see Donovan, they sneak around from time to time though. But on this particular night Champagne sneaks out and goes to Donovan’s house in which she fines another girl in Donovan's bed and they are sleeping together champagne is enraged and loses her mind and now feels like she all alone in the world so she goes to the bar to drink her pain away champagne meets a man named Byron there and she they talk for awhile and she thinks hes the man of her dreams but den she finds out that Byron is 4 years younger than her and her dad keeps trying to fight him and her through the bruises and pain Byron does not fight back and Champagne's dad soon realizes that this is the man for his daughter and allows to see each other in the future they get married and have two kids named Kennedy and Lauren who are successful doctors. But when it is all set and done Kennedy is Donovan’s son but no one knows or ever will no even so they live happily ever after.
Broken Love Can Be Repaired