Writing for the next generation is a hallmark of literary leadership - A.W. Tatum
We will write children stories for those who come after us. Think about the young brother and sister sitting in the classroom, bedroom, or library bored because they are struggling to find a book that resonates with them. Let's write for them using colorful words and rich language. Help them smile, laugh, feel warm, get excited, or get lost in their imaginations. We can also write to empathize with them and show them that we care about their young pains.
I wrote the following to capture kids' growing pains and pleasures.
Could Barely
By
Alfred Tatum
July 13, 2010
11:20 am
I sat in the car.
I could barely see out of the window.
I went to the park.
I could barely shoot in the basket.
I went to the carnival.
I could barely reach the line.
I got a new bike.
I could barely turn the pedals.
I went shopping with my mom.
I could barely carry the bag.
I took a long trip.
I could barely stay awake.
I was racing my big sister.
I could barely keep pace.
I was playing baseball with my father.
I could barely throw the ball.
I watched a scary movie.
I could barely sleep.
I started doing things made for five-year-olds.
I could barely believe how much fun I was having.
My little sister came to my room.
She could barely do the things I do.
I could barely stop laughing.
I wrote the following to capture the feeling of a seven-year-old who lost his cat, Gizmo.
Gizmo’s Spot
Alfred W. Tatum
January 11, 2010
5:57pm on the Metra
This was his third trip to the doctor in as many weeks. The hope we once had was gone. Last night was the hardest for us as he lay in the dark basement in a spot that comforted him. He starved himself the entire weekend, refusing to eat, refusing to move. Nothing worked. I was not only concerned for him; I worried about his best friend, Andrew. The death of a friend is hard to swallow when you are really young.
“He’s going to make it dad.”
These were Andrew’s words earlier in the week when he heard about his friend’s disease. I tried to explain that some things are just God’s will. He covered his ears and refused to listen to me. This was the first time Andrew acted stubborn. He was usually an easy-going kid. The idea of losing Gizmo changed him.
“Look what I got!”
These were mom’s words when she surprised Andrew with a kitten. Frankly, we were all surprised. This was Andrew’s first pet. He had his very own kitten. Small. Cute. Playful. The kitten started reaching for the string on mom’s white coat.
“Mom look, he likes your string. I got a string.”
Andrew ran up the stairs and removed a string from an old shoe. He rushed down the stairs almost tripping before sliding on the floor to be close to Gizmo. He pulled the string and Gizmo chased it. He held the string over Gizmo’s head and Gizmo reached for it. They were in string heaven.
“This is the one,” I said.
“Mom, can he sleep in my room?”
“We have to help him get used to his litter box first.”
“How long will that take? I will take him to the litter box when he has to use the bathroom.”
“Cats are not like dogs, Andrew. They train themselves.”
Gizmo was going to his litter box before bedtime. Andrew left his bedroom door cracked and a nightlight on hoping that Gizmo would find him. The next morning, to his delight, Gizmo found a spot near Andrew’s feet.
“Mom, Gizmo slept in my bed. He likes me.”
For the next three months, Andrew found Gizmo at his feet when he woke up in the morning. Then one morning, Gizmo was not there. Instead, he slept in the corner of Andrew’s closet. He did not follow Andrew down the stairs to breakfast as usual. He did not chase after the string. Gizmo stared at Andrew with his adoring eyes, but he did not move.
“Do you think Gizmo is overweight,” my wife asked.
“I notice some bloating in his stomach, but the rest of his body looks normal.”
“We should take him to the doctor just to make sure everything is okay.”
Three days later, my wife took Gizmo to the vet. By this time, he had stopped eating. His water bowl was full at the end of the day. The bloating was not going away. Gizmo stopped running, stopped chasing the string; he stopped being, Gizmo.
The doctor shaved Gizmo’s belly to draw blood. It was a gray Friday afternoon, but Gizmo seemed happy in the doctor’s arms. His eyes turned toward Andrew as he was lying on the examination table.
“It’ll be okay, Gizzy. The doctor just needs a little blood. You’ll be better before you know it.”
The doctor decided to keep Gizmo overnight to run some more tests. This was Gizmo’s first night away.
“Is he coming home tomorrow, mom?”
“Yes, Andrew. The doctor just wants to make sure he’s okay.”
Gizmo came home Friday afternoon, but he was not better. We would have to wait five-to-seven days for the test results. Andrew was happy to have his kitten home.
“Mom, Gizmo made a mess on the floor.”
This was the first time Gizmo failed to use his litter box. He did not have the energy to go to the basement. My wife called the doctor and explained what happened. The doctor said he would rush with the test results. Gizmo was placed in the basement over the weekend because he did not have the energy to climb the stairs. We were really anxious to get the test results. It was a long weekend. Gizmo was starving himself to death. The smell of home cooked potpies did not entice him to eat. We blasted the music and danced around him with dangling strings. He followed us with his eyes, but he did not move. We were all sad.
I was at work on Monday evening when my wife called.
“Well, I just received the news that Gizmo has to be put to sleep. The doctor gave me the choice of a funeral or cremation.”
Immediately, I thought about Andrew. As suddenly as Gizmo came into our lives, he was leaving us. I asked to speak to Andrew before my wife shared the sad news.
“Hey, Drew.”
“Hey, dad.”
“How was school?”
“Not so good. I was asked to write about a problem and explain how I dealt with it.”
“What did you write?”
“Nothing. I just live my life. I don’t have any problems. I am just a happy kid.”
“We’ll talk about it when I get home tonight.”
“Here’s mom, bye dad.”
Gizmo had twenty-four hours left. We decided to let Andrew stay up as late as he wanted to be with him. He decided to sleep in the basement on the couch near Gizmo’s bed. I went down to check on them just after midnight. They were both sound asleep. Andrew and Gizmo were enjoying their last night together.
“How was it,” I asked my wife.
“It was pretty sad. It seemed like he knew what was going to happen.”
“Why do you say that?”
“Unlike the other times at the doctor’s office, he refused to come out of his carrying case. He just meowed and meowed and meowed. I never heard him sound like that.”
We shared the news with Andrew tonight. He did not say much at the dinner table. This was unusual.
“I think I am going to bed early tonight.”
“Okay, I’ll be up to tuck you in.”
I went upstairs twenty minutes later and found Andrew’s door shut for the first night in three months. There was no need to keep it open. I heard him crying softly. When I cracked his door, I saw him lying at the other end of his bed. Andrew was lying in Gizmo’s spot. I felt sad and shed my first tear in more than twenty years. My son’s best friend was gone and he knew it.

The Superhero Express
ReplyDeleteI arrived at school bright and early today because dad didn’t have to make my breakfast today. I did it!
I ran to Suzy in art class.
“Suzy, guess what? Guess what? Guess what?”
Suzy cheered me on, “What! What! What Bray!”
“I was a superhero yesterday.”
She was amazed. “Awesome! Wait a minute…For reeaalll?”
“Yea! I promise to Barnie.”
“What was your name then?”
“The Pouncer, and I could jump how high and how far I wanted.”
“Even to the moon!”
“Yea, I went to New York. That’s where my Big Bro Works.”
“Then what?”
“Then I hopped to China. Bong! I took off. Bam! I landed.”
“I ate a lot of rice there.”
“Yummy!”
“Next! Next! Next!”
“I zoomed to Texas!”
“Whhoooaaah! My grammy lives there!”
“I walked around in a straw cowboy hat.”
Suzy chuckled.
“Whoosh, I was gone. I screamed Wwweeeeeee as I played tag with superman. I told him look I’m just like you!”
“What did he say?”
“Good going kid.”
“What happened next?”
“I woke up.”
Ninjas and Chocolate
ReplyDeleteBobby – Bobby the ninja, stalked the playground with his newly acquired laser gun. Beaming for victims to transform. He slipped down the slide on one foot, hopped off, and wrestled his friend chuck- chuck the explorer- dynamo chuck- chuck full o’ luck- or just plain chuck, to the ground.
“HA you cannot beat a ninja! I am Bobby the unbeatable. Bobby the king, bow down and say that you give up!”
“NEVER, explorers own ninjas so imma pawn you.”
“NO way, I have the skill of a power ranger, and look at my laser
gun!”
Bobby waved the laser pointer back and forth in front of Chuck’s eyes smugly.
“See, laser gun.”
“Ninjas don’t have laser guns,” Chucked mumbled to himself.
Bobby hopped off of Chuck like a true ninja and ran past Ms.Frakenshak with blinding speed.
“No running during recess,” Ms. Frakenshak slurred.
Bobby slowed to a trot and saw a big rock in the grass by the swings.
“Hey chuck the explorer,” Bobby yelled in a teasing voice,
“I found this rock!”
Chuck ran over to Bobby’s side and picked up the rock. A garden snake slithered out from under the rock’s shadow.
“AHHHH it’s an anaconda, kill it, kill it!!” screamed Chuck.
Bobby gallantly pointed his laser gun at the garden snake.
“Its morphing time!” he said and started to dance like Michael Jackson. Bobby turned on his heels and shot the garden snake with his laser turning the beast into chocolate!
“Some explorer you are, it’s a garden snail” Bobby said as a-matter-of-factly, “Now eat it.”
“No way man!”
“Stop being a scaredy-cat, it’s chocolate now.”
The snake peered up at the boys and cocked its head obviously confused with the whole situation.
“CHOCOLATE DOSENT MOVE BOBBY!!”
“Its magic chocolate, now eat it or you’re not a real explorer.”
Chuck reached down and grabbed the snake by its belly.
“I’ll show you Bobby!”
He put the snake’s head closer to his mouth.The snake stuck out its tongue and hissed at Chuck.
“AHHH!!”
“What are you kids doing?” Ms.Frakenshak said boringly.
“Uhh we found some chocolate under this rock, Chuck, give the chocolate to the teacher.”
Chuck smiled at Bobby mischievously.
“HERE MS.FRAKENSHAK, CHOCOLATE.”
He held out the snake towards Ms.Frakenshak and the blood drained from her face, she zipped off screaming and jumping unnaturally well for a woman of her age.
“Wow,” Said Chuck.
“What?” Bobby asked.
“She’s a better ninja then you.”
Bobby gave Chuck a blank stare.
“Dude, I’m a power ranger.”
My First Day of School
ReplyDeleteI am so excited!
It’s my first day of school.
I kissed my cat, which is fat and grabbed my hat.
When I got to school I said bye to daddy but didn’t give him a hug because I wanted to look cool.
My classmates were on the playground and I got kind of shy. In fact I was so scared I felt like I was about to cry.
My teacher helped me with my fear. She introduced me to my classmates who I will see for a whole entire year.
In fact they were all pretty nice, and we played with all of the classroom mice.
Before I knew it daddy had came to pick me up so I told all my new friends goodbye and gave my new teacher a big hug.
If everyday was recess we could play tag and run super fast!
ReplyDeleteIf everyday way recess we could play jump rope and touch the puffy clouds!
If everyday was recess we could play hide and go seek hidden places. shhhhhh
If everyday was recess we could have picnics under shady trees.
If everyday was recess we could eat red popsicles. yuuummmmm
If everyday was recess we could draw with dusty chalk.
If everyday was recess we could rock on the rubber swings.
If everyday was recess we could climb on monkey bars like monkeys.
If everyday was recess we could play kick ball and kick the ball hard.
If everyday was recess we would get tired and would not want recess all day anymore.
The Fastest Kid on Earth
ReplyDeleteRecess is the best time of the day.
Every kid likes to run around and have some fun.
Especially Alex, he was the fastest kid in class.
Everyday at recess his classmates lined up to try and beat Alex.
One by one each person Alex raced ate his dust.
Alex zoomed off of the starting gate,
the wind racing through his hair.
Reaching the finish line way before his opponent realized what happened.
All the kids thought it was his red shoes
That something magic were hidden in them to make him go faster
But to Alex
They were his lucky shoes
Alex was the king of racing,
That was until…
A girl challenged him to a race
A girl named Molly.
Alex thought it would be a piece of cake.
Nobody in his class could beat him,
Let alone a girl.
Alex gladly accepted.
The next day at recess Molly and Alex met at the starting line on the blacktop.
A group had gathered around them, they were about to see a spectacle.
Alex’s friends were on the right side.
Molly’s on the other.
“GO!” the kids yelled.
Alex and Molly leaped off the starting line,
They were neck and neck, running full speed on the blacktop
Both groups of kids were screaming, for their respective friend.
Ten feet separated them from the finish line,
Alex knew it would be a close finish.
And then something tragic happened…
Alex tripped right at the finish line.
Silence filled the crowd as Molly flew past the finish line.
Her friends greeted her with open arms and girlish screams.
Alex lay on the ground, defeated
His lucky shoes couldn’t help him now.
Alex got up and dusted himself off,
He was furious, no one has ever beaten him before.
He and Molly met eyes, and she stuck her tongue out at him.
Alex walked away, furious.
Molly called from the distance,
“Hey, Alex, how does it feel to be a LOSER!”
He ignored her and kept walking.
Molly ran up besides him.
“Hey, why are you so angry?” she asked.
“I’m not angry,” snarled Alex.
“Oh please, you got beat by a girl, I know you’re angry” said Molly.
“I’m not angry that I got beat by a girl… I’m angry because you beat me” replied Alex.
“Well, maybe you shouldn’t be a sore loser,” sassed Molly.
“Fine, but don’t talk to me again,” said Alex.
“Maybe we could be friends, you seem cool, especially your shoes,” said Molly.
“Ummmm… I guess we could be friends, but that would be weird because everyone might make fun of me.” said Alex.
“Why?” asked Molly.
“Because I’m not the fastest kid in school anymore,” Alex cried.
“Well…no but you could be the fastest boy in school.” said Molly.
“Yeah, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea.” said Alex.
Alex and Molly walked back to the starting line together,
Alex’s friends stared at him in awe, how could he be friends him the girl who beat him.
Molly and Alex lined up to race again.
And they raced, and raced, and raced until recess was over.
And they became the best runners in the school,
And the best friends.
Mr. K and Mr. K
ReplyDelete“Stop right there young man!” says Mr. K.
He is the best teacher in the world.
James knows he shouldn’t be running into class.
But he can’t help it, he is so excited.
Today is show and tell; he brought his pet rabbit.
His name is Mr. K too!
“James, come here.” Says Mr. K,
“Yes Mr. K,” James quietly replies.
“What are the rules for show and tell?” Mr. K asks.
“We must bring something that is very important to us. And, it can’t move or be alive.” James replies with his head held down.
But James has brought his pet rabbit; Mr. K
All the other kids looked at James with great alarm. He did what none of them would do. He did what Mr. K. said he should not do. But no one understood why the two Mr. K’s were in the same room, except little James McGee.
Today was supposed to be the last show and tell.
But James had not gone. He believed it was because he went against the rules. James was so upset that he went into the bathroom and began to cry. “Why can’t I make Mr. K. see that I only brought Mr. K. because they mean the most to me?”
“Alright class, now we will have our last 4 students presents their objects.” Says Mr. K.
James’ name has been called. He is so happy now. He can finally tell everyone. Why did it take so long? Dang man, I really thought I was not going. He thought to himself.
“Hi, I am James McGee, and today I want to show and tell my pet rabbit. His name is Mr. K. yes, just like our teacher Mr. K. I first got him, when I started this class. My mom told me I could have one pet. So I asked for the rabbit. Then in May we started school, so I named him may. That was until I met, Mr. K. which is my favorite teacher of all time. These 2 Mr. K’s are the most important to me, because I love them both.
Everyone now could see why James went above and beyond the rules. All Mr. K. the teacher could do; tell the students there would be more show and tells. And all the things truly important were now allowed.
The End!
My New Dog
ReplyDelete“Why do we have to choose this one?” I plead my parents not to choose the Doberman pinscher standing right in front of me.
The large black dog with its giant pink tongue hanging out of it’s slobbery mouth.
“Carter” I mutter
The large dog walks toward me and licks my face.
“Aren’t Dobermans supposed to be strong mean dogs?” I ask while rolling my eyes
“No Kenny dogs have different personalities. No dog is the same just like no person is the same.” My mother says while my brother and dad pet the dog that will soon be a part of the family.
“Can’t we get the small little Jack Russell over there? I mean this dog is huge.”
“No, you know that your father likes large dogs.” My mother says in a kind tone but she gives me a, be grateful that your getting anything look.
I ‘m silent while we bring the dog home from the rescue, even though it’s really hard because I have to sit right next to the happy go lucky dog. When I reach home we walk the dog around the house and show him our back yard. He’s already trained and knows not to use it in the house.
There is only one problem, he won’t leave me alone. It’s been a month since we got him and the dog follows me every where. I ask my mom why he’s doing that. She says that he must really like me. Disappointed I huff away and sit in my room. Carter follows me their.
He sits right in front of me and stares at my face, sit and stare at each other for at least five minutes. Then my mom calls me and Carter outside so that we can take him to the park. We take him into an outdoor basketball court that had been abandoned and the rims stolen.
The court has a gate around it because were not sure yet if he will run away because we just got him and he’s still getting used to us. We play for about thirty minutes when we decide to leave.
We drove home and let carter up to the house. I walk him into the gate and take off his leash, but I forgot to close the gate. He ran like lightning and I ran right after him my parents put their stuff in the car and drove after him. I chase him to the gas station, the grocery store and even my buddy devonte’s house. The whole time he would stop and wait for me to catch up then zoom off again.
We ran and ran until we reached our house again and he stopped. He sat down right on our front yard and waited for me to get to him. I ran up breathing hard and he stood up walked over to me and licked my face until I was wet with drool. He smiled and walked into our front gate that was still open and sat on the porch. Laughing I walked up closed the gate and sat and petted my new dog and waited for the rest of the family.
Ba#6 Under covers
ReplyDelete“Can we go outside now?” Joseph asked for the fourth time in a row. And for the fourth time in a row his mother answered not right now Joseph but maybe we’ll go to the park later. But this time Joseph had had enough he yelled as loud as his tiny lungs would allow him “take me to the park now.”
This time Joseph’s mother had had enough too. She firmly told Joseph to go to his room and play before he gets in real trouble. The newly silenced Joseph slithered to his room defeated and teary eyed.
He crawled into his comfy bed and pulled the warm blankets over his head. He decided that if he was forced to be in his room he might as well have fun. He stretched his little arm out from underneath the blanket and scooped up a few of his favorite toys. His dragon, his knight , his army men, and his sister’s princess doll.
He immediately let his imagination sweep him away and take him to a magical land. Where he was the king. Where all of the army men were his soldiers, and the princess doll was his queen. He sent the army men on a mission to fight the dragon with the knight leading the charge.
And before he knew it he was swept away into another land. A land of cool rest and sweet dreams. And not long after Joseph fell asleep his mother came to get Joseph and take him to the park like he had been persistently asking about. But to her surprise she found him fast asleep under his warm covers.
Zoomy Zeke
ReplyDeleteOnce upon a time
There was a neighborhood race
425 Wallace Street
Was where it took place
They lined up on the street
Touching their toes
But the slowest kid was Zeke
He never won a race
All the kids teased him
They put sadness on his face
They gave him nicknames
Like ‘Weak Zeke’
‘Z the sleep’
‘Zookie the Dookie’
But he was going to change that today
He bent over and touched his toes
Made sure he tied his shoes
He said to himself, “I will NOT lose!”
“On your mark, get set, GO!”
Zoom!
The kids were off
Off to the races
But Zeke was at last
He couldn’t really see their faces
But he kept zooming
Zeke huffed and puffed
He was coming up closer
This kid was tough!
Zeke ran through Craig and Fred
Sam and Pam
Jack and Pat
Bill and Jill
Loopsey and Floopsey
He kept running and running
Dipping and zipping
His feet kept running
His toes were flipping and clipping
Zeke was in 2nd place
Zeke was on the chase
He kept zooming and zooming
He looked to the left at his competitor
His face was glooming
They were coming up on the finish line
Zeke said to himself
“This is all mine!”
Sure enough he won!
He came in 1st place
The kids cheered him on
They said “he’s not that bad”
“This kid is neat!”
From here on out
He was known as Zoomy Zeke
If everyday was recess we could play tag and run super fast!
ReplyDeleteIf everyday was recess we could play jump rope and touch the puffy clouds!
If everyday was recess we could play hide and go seek in hidden places. shhhhhh
If everyday was recess we could have picnics under shady trees.
If everyday was recess we could eat red popsicles. yuuummmmm
If everyday was recess we could draw with dusty chalk.
If everyday was recess we could climb on monkey bars like monkeys.
But if everyday was recess…
Our legs would get tired from playing tag and running superfast.
Our knees would get soar from jumping high to touch puffy clouds.
Our minds would gat bored from hiding in hidden places.
Our tummies would get sick from eating the same picnic food everyday.
Our tongues would turn a vibrant red forever from licking so many red popsicles.
Our hands would get dusty from drawing with chalk.
Our arms would become fatigued from climbing like a monkey.
If everyday was recess we would have a lot of fun and be very tired. But we won’t know for sure what it would be like to have recess everyday until next week when summer starts.