This is the final week of the 3rd annual African American Adolescent Male Summer Literacy Institute at UIC. We have written and shared poetic broadsides, black shorts, children stories, and book chapters. Now you have the opportuity to write in the genre of your choice. You will use the preamble and the platfomrs as your guidepost. Use this final week to write to define self, nurture resilience, engage others, or build capacity. This should be a really exciting week.
Be prudent and unapologetic.
I want to thank the young BA who introduced me to the graphic novel, The Sons of Liberty. I enjoyed reading it on the train.
We are lucky to have the playwright, Zell Williams, with us today.
I've decided to go back to poetry this week.
I wrote the following poem after receiving another email alert about a crime committed by young African American males in UIC's vicinity.
Crime Alert
5’ 9” – 5’ 11”
armed robbery on the corner of harriSON and morgan
weight/wait 170lbs to 195lbs
this is another descriptor of me
I’m in the police blotter although I teach at the university
I was pulled over at the university of merrryland/Maryland for driving a green sUv
Now, I am at uIc
the same mess is occurring
waiting to be pulled over because I meet the same PROfile
My phd can’t even save me
I need to grow taller or lose some weight/wait
this will be my great escape
man, who am i fooling
genetics got me trapped in the quagmire
I am afraid to open the next email alert
that’s alerting me to be aware of myself
feeling like a criminal
although I’ve never committed a crime
I’ll keep my knife in my pocket
just in case i decide to rob myself
ain’t that a damn shame
BA 5
Dramatization
I got words in my mind
Love in my heart
I’m one of a kind
A wonderful work of art
But my life’s startin’ to fall apart
I’m eatin’ all da bullshit
I gotta full shoppin’ cart
Trynna have a good life
But the things I’m doin’ isn’t smart
But dass another story P
eople say I chose this life
But I feel like it came up on me
I didn’t want it
My life’s been a mess
my life’s been a wreck
And the bad thing is
I still got lots of more years left
Drama follows me
It’s like my cologne
Even when I think I’m alone
It’s right there beside me
Even when I walk with me head down in deep thought
There it is walkin’ backwards lookin’ directly at me
Too much goin’ on
I think god is mad at me
I know my mom is not happy
My friends’ heads are still nappy
My people expected me to bring them out the hood
But I got to get myself out of this environment
Hot on the block it’s a different climate
But in my head it’s foggy
I've decided to go back to poetry this week.
I wrote the following poem after receiving another email alert about a crime committed by young African American males in UIC's vicinity.
Crime Alert
5’ 9” – 5’ 11”
armed robbery on the corner of harriSON and morgan
weight/wait 170lbs to 195lbs
this is another descriptor of me
I’m in the police blotter although I teach at the university
I was pulled over at the university of merrryland/Maryland for driving a green sUv
Now, I am at uIc
the same mess is occurring
waiting to be pulled over because I meet the same PROfile
My phd can’t even save me
I need to grow taller or lose some weight/wait
this will be my great escape
man, who am i fooling
genetics got me trapped in the quagmire
I am afraid to open the next email alert
that’s alerting me to be aware of myself
feeling like a criminal
although I’ve never committed a crime
I’ll keep my knife in my pocket
just in case i decide to rob myself
ain’t that a damn shame
BA 5
Dramatization
I got words in my mind
Love in my heart
I’m one of a kind
A wonderful work of art
But my life’s startin’ to fall apart
I’m eatin’ all da bullshit
I gotta full shoppin’ cart
Trynna have a good life
But the things I’m doin’ isn’t smart
But dass another story P
eople say I chose this life
But I feel like it came up on me
I didn’t want it
My life’s been a mess
my life’s been a wreck
And the bad thing is
I still got lots of more years left
Drama follows me
It’s like my cologne
Even when I think I’m alone
It’s right there beside me
Even when I walk with me head down in deep thought
There it is walkin’ backwards lookin’ directly at me
Too much goin’ on
I think god is mad at me
I know my mom is not happy
My friends’ heads are still nappy
My people expected me to bring them out the hood
But I got to get myself out of this environment
Hot on the block it’s a different climate
But in my head it’s foggy

The Beginning
ReplyDeleteAs we come to an end we once again began
We have lifted up to a new plateau and never seek to land
Uncanny minds have clashed together
Fusion together to form a brand new star that will shine forever more
As we continue on we will reach the core
The core of this burning lava like world
We will rub the shells of people and create an imperishable pearl
Amazingly designed, defined, and divine we are
Looking at a distance at our surroundings but not very far
Building density, and becoming deeper and out of our superficial techniques
Reaching new peaks we strive and still into this world we will dive
Not to long now some of us will be men
And thrown into the world without a paddle
And an Anchor will not be at our disposal
So we grab on to our writings and let it guide us through this rocky sea
Trade
ReplyDeleteAll I need is the drums
To hear the banging in my ear
It’s very loud
And so incredibly so that it consumes my style
And all the while I was just trying to make somebody proud
Are you proud now?
Look at me, you should’ve raised me instead of bringing me down
I know you tried but trying its just getting tired now
I was young when ya’ll left me.
Grown when ya’ll saw me.
Don’t listen when you speaking and don’t answer when you call me.
This is the young black body thrown in the red paint.
The one who says is not instead of the word aint.
But they won’t see me momma they just won’t pay attention
Cause I been speaking mama and my words get dismissed.
I feel like I'm jumping off all I need is some trix,
To get me back on the trail and back in my mix
But see these bricks seem so tough and this iron so hard.
Trying to squeeze through trying to breathe through these bars.
Trying to get a step ahead and avoid all these scars.
But momma I'm just too different, I'm scarred.
Trade on
Getting a step ahead is hard.
Do you see the scars on my legs?
Well friends listen to the scars in my head.
I was, born with red eyes in the disguise of a guise
You could hear the cries and see the liquid spies in my eyes.
Said I had the devil in me but it was just the rebel in me,
So level with me, I DIDN’T LIKE NOOSES SO I WORE TIES.
With button down shirts, fancy dressing they called me salad.
And they breathe envy.
Enough about me.
Friends, enemies what’s the difference?
When the status of a person can change with a single sentence.
She had the best video, he couldn’t sell a watermelon and the schoolgirl is a bitch,
I condone martyrdom.
One loss for substantial gain but what if it was something you didn’t want to lose?
Which do you choose?
Make the trade.
If at all
ReplyDeleteIf it’s thirty seconds to Mars then it’s a minute to Venus.
Into the wilds witness the guile of behemoth.
Stealth and what seems to be a product of genius, written in scripture and depictured as a slaughter of demons.
The devils are angry with me I'm just catchy and seamless what seems to be in my soul is a trick of the seamstress. She’s out to get me and I can’t fathom the reason why money once my honey is now committed to treason.
Dark Side of the Rainbow
ReplyDeleteCome into our neck of the woods
Take a look at our neighborhood
We live on the rainbow
But wear gloomy colors
While others seem to get along
We itch to kill each other
"Hello, how are you doing?"
"Yo, what it do?"
Most of us are sick in the head
But lack symptoms of the Flu
Our lives have no guidance or direction
Pointless?
That you can say
I seem to be on the right path but yet I stray
Black president?
Has hell frozen over?
I recon it hasn't
We're described as Ogres
Monsters
Felons
Demons?
Born to be evil
Bastard Semen
We may seem abnormal
Out of wack
But we're the only color that isn't on the rainbow
We're black
Stripped
ReplyDeleteA victim of Self-Inflicted maliciousness,
Stripped of everything,
Naked…
Letting bystanders vandalize me,
My voice unheard among the laughter,
There's only one result to come from this,
My eminent end,
Only one person can take a hit without submitting,
The inability to resist,
The disabilities I carry,
Leave a big target,
A target large enough for everyone to see.
I had been stripped.
Stripped of personality,
Stripped of judgement,
Stripped of well-being,
Stripped of myself.
And it will take time to get the clothes back.
Myself Undead
ReplyDeleteOnce was I ever dead,
Truly Dead
No life,
No soul,
No true way of life,
It ate me to my rotten core,
The mundane feeling of confinement
THAT was my true way of life.
But times change,
Along with the ideas of life,
And a life was born anew,
My life
Confinement was now an unwritten word in my dictionary
A bright smile returned to my face
Something unseen for months on end
Illuminating the gloom surrounding me
A beautiful mind has returned.
My life as a dead man,
Was nothing but a mere memory,
A memory of a life unknown,
A memory...
Dead itself.
Outside
ReplyDeleteI stand in this empty space,
Watching others converse over nothing,
Invitations to places denied.
How can I be in charge of a life I have no say in?
I set my own path,
Only to have it widdled away by others.
I built it...but others are tearing it down.
I can't stand to work anymore if it's considered lucid.
I stand by myself:
Lonely,
Scared,
Outside the circle.
Doing everything on my own,
Stpping to care for others,
But from what I've experienced...
Being outside can be a good thing.
The Revolution
ReplyDeleteI write prudently and unapologetically.
You can ask me too apologize steadily.
If I wrote it then I felt. If I felt it then I wrote it.
I don’t care if you promote it.
My heart if full of anger and I swear I am about to show it.
I wish I was like Brett so I could just throw it; instead it’s like a boomerang and comes back around only too blow up in my face.
I am emotional inside but tell who wants too hear my cry.
The world moves swiftly and would rather pass by than stop to see what makes one cry.
But in the event of my demise I will hopefully feel no more pain and no more cries.
The truth behind the unruly
ReplyDeleteWhat happens when life’s fractions don’t equate with the mathematics
And the fragments are burned to ashes
The phoenix will rise.
But what lies are a disguise for more lies that mean the truth
And if ties weren’t meant to hang us all in the same suit
I understand the nature of power.
It’s idolization.
To walk in his foot steps men embrace ruin.
And if you died in pursuit what would you say to him?
I wanna be just like ya Daddy.
I want to move like you move, snort the same coke in the same wrinkled suit
Tell the same false truths and cover myself in the same soot
So when your fathers not around it makes you mad and then you try to copycat a dad you never had.
Man I told you I didn’t need you so why you wanna chat with me?
When I was playing ball my whole life dad you NEVA went to bat for me?
You neva had my back fa me and never picked up slack fa me.
ALL YOU EVER DID IS WANNA DROP A STACK FA ME.
But I don’t want ya god-forsaken cash.
I just wanted to know you better.
But I don’t know you and neva knew you and I hope that lasts forever.
Byron Mason
ReplyDeleteKid, I see you growing and I wonder the direction.
Will the nigga in the world grip you in infection.
I wish to offer protection through my words through out time.
But will you cut to the side or stand in the line.
The line being the accustomed and the side is the custom.
Wishing you more then I should and plus some.
Because influence is the woman and the product is the bosom
And you can choose to go below them or stay strong and above them.
And the world is scary and you may not see it but believe it because what an older man
Tells you, you should listen and receive it.
Some lead you astray but I would be a fool if I stood by in the line and let you become a tool.
Where you’re going I'm not for knowing but the path I can show.
You naturally grown in body but it’s up to you to grow in soul.
Dark Side of the Rainbow
ReplyDeleteCome into our neck of the woods
Take a look at our neighborhood
We live on the rainbow
But wear gloomy colors
While others seem to get along
We itch to kill each other
"Hello, how are you doing?"
"Yo, what it do?"
Most of us are sick in the head
But lack symptoms of the Flu
Our lives have no guidance or direction
Pointless?
That you can say
I seem to be on the right path but yet I stray
Black president?
Has hell frozen over?
I take that hasn't
We're described as Ogres
Monsters
Felons
Demons?
Born to be evil
Bastard Semen
We may seem abnormal
Out of whack
But we're the only color that isn't on the rainbow
We're black
Reach
ReplyDeleteWords that were used to oppress us are now used as daily language by us
I guess when we learn the constitution we skipped number thirteen
According to Gilbert were still objects
I guess I need to bring my bro when I vote
‘cause I’m just a fraction
It’s funny because I swear that people originated in Africa
So how am I the copy of you?
They call this that US but last time I check US is not us and us is not we and we are not satisfied*
Equality ha not even the preachers believe that
No one thinks were equal not even our beloved Barack
Sherlie Sherrod got fired on a dime cause Obama’s ‘afraid of Republicans
It’s a shame that the few blacks
That get high up in status don’t reach down and remember to help their brothers
And it doesn’t help that everyone thinks that we all hate each other
There are those that do help though
Everyday heroes
Not liked by millions but loved by few
Their actions are not practiced but true
They are the real heroes
They’re the ones that really reach
*quote from Same thing by Flobots
My Tears Weapon
ReplyDeleteChapter 4: The Seduction
I found the newspaper that had previously accompanied my sight. She was just as glorious. This paper once again advertised a Ball that she was having for seemingly intelligent of this world. Meeting of the Minds, in big bold black old roman letters appeared above her head. My minds eye mutated the words, as if the words were dripping off the page and on to my hands and crawled up my arms to my sholders in to my ears and in to my mind. My mind was embroidered with the thought of going to this Ball. My only aim was her. My psyche was stuck. Click…Click…Click…
A Scholar I would present to Suzy. A college professor from France I will embody and become. Background: Born in Dijon, France. Parents named Falecia and Floyd Hinton. Moved to France at age 8. No wife. No Kids. Professor at College de France in the English department.
Days had passed and no word was uttered from the speaker box. Had they let her grow cold already. Have their mind become absent of her so soon. Cops always wonder about motive for crimes well these inadvertent murders are my motive. To get them to pay attention to the screams of the innocent victims and lend a ear to their souls. The lack care fed to my growing anticipation of meeting Suzy. I prepared for days. I first went and bought an all black suit, 48 long and 38 wide. I picked up a red tie and a hat. A black hat with a red feather that hung from the side and white band rapped around it to match the white shirt I wore. I went to the finest men’s clothing store to pick out smooth, sleek, leather shoes. The shoes said something extraordinary about me. Status is all idiots think about. Hungry for money and greed.
Today was the day. The day to strap on my allure and let the seduction take over. I dressed and ran out to the car because of my late departure. The car tires seemed to glide off the ground and swept of into the misty wind when I hit the accelerator. I cruised through the streets until I arrived at 8956 East Point. I saw a grey giant of a building with big broad dome like windows I saw women with beautiful dresses and men with rented tuxes of all sorts. I could tell who I had become was the best of them. I entered the Ballroom and immediately caught the eye of the of the woman I was captivated in. Suzy. Her eyes locked on to mine and I instantly had her drawn. She walked towards me as if someone were pulling her by a slackless string . She approached and said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteWho I am
ReplyDeleteIm a money chaser. No wait I’m a drug dealer! That’s what I was going to tell everybody on my first day of high school. I was thinking I was going to turn Oak Park and River Forest high school into my school. I was thinking I was going to be such a bad ass and not follow the rules and say fuck classes and start ditching school. I thought that I was going to be running things in that school. I found out on that same day that I wasn’t the only one trying to run the place. There was this freshman DeAndre who was all up in my face, I felt that Hell was about to be risen because that’s DeMario’s brother ad those two are true bad asses. I wanted to be friends with him so Im thinking should I tell him that im a money chaser or a drug dealer because I see no difference between me and him. So I told him “Hey my name is Antonio and I’m…I’m…I’m “I didn’t know what to tell him. “your what,” he asked?
“I’m…I’m…I’m a money chaser,”
“oh yea where’s yo money at,”?
I had money but it was my allowance for the week! I had fifty dollars that I wanted to save up for some gym shoes. DeAndre was giving me this look like he didn’t care if I had twenty cents on me either way he was going to take that. I saw a knock out in my vision if I didn’t give up my money. He said “how much you got on you,”? I hesitated to answer the question. “Im not telling you,” I said. “What you think im going to do take your money,” he asked? “Yea,” I said. He said well your right he balled up his fist and I tried to run away but I was to late